Re: Disabling a Factory Car Alarm (1995 Toyota Corolla)

In article <f32fb$453d1868$44a4a10d$4661@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
	   rokigawaATtristarassociatesDOTcom "Ray O" writes:

> "Andrew Stephenson" <ames@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>
> > [re: Prius locking/unlocking characteristics]
> >
> > (Will _try_ to remember to check this, next time I can.)
>
> Let us know what you find out!

Seems there was a communications failure and I misunderstood how
the Prius' alarm and locking mechanisms interact.  Here's how it
looks, after some brief experiments.

The car can be locked and its alarm set, using either the key-fob
remote or the mechanical door-key stored in the fob.  The remote
allows "double locking", whose advantages I am not clear on.

The car can be unlocked and its alarm disarmed, using either the
key-fob remote or the mechanical emergency door-key.  IOW, if the
fob's battery fails, one can open the driver's door with the key
without the alarm throwing any fits, then stick the fob into the
dashboard hole and drive the car in the normal way -- perhaps to
the nearest place selling fob batteries.

Is it safe to assume the new Yaris works the same way?

HTH.
--
Andrew Stephenson