Re: ADT Contract Language help.

> To make a long story short (see my other recent posts) I am *likely* to
> go with ADT Corporate for an extensive residential system. The main
> reason besides overall cost is they have agreed to write in the
> contract that the system is NOT a lease and will be owned from DAY 1.
> Further they agree to write in the contract that at the end of the
> contract term (3 years) they will provide free of charge to appropriate
> master codes allowing the main Safewatch Pro 3000 box to be used by any
> independent installer.
>
> Since I don't know the technology lingo, how should the language read
> in your more professional opinions to make sure that I don't have
> issues 3 years from now if I want to switch to other monitoring without
> equipment changes? Is "master code" the appropriate term or what?
>
> Thanks, if they don't get the language right I will likely go to an
> independent at over a $750+ premium, but if they give the way out I
> don't think I can pass them up.

I'm not sure about the exact terminology- most of us who have ever had a
monitoring contract had an attorney review and revise it. Get language that
makes you comfortable, and it will likely make a judge in any potential
small claims lawsuit comfortable as well.

Another thing to explore- ADT may still be using "proprietary" firmware for
their communicator in their main panels, which are made-to-order for ADT. If
this is the case, your system will never be able to communicate with any
other Central Monitoring Station.