Re: Where to place smokes/heat?

canyonblue@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> here is the issue at hand guys, and sadly at certain point it *is* a
> bottom line issue...
>
> i interviewed 4 security companies in my home. all stayed for near or
> over an hour. 3 were highly recommended independents which per some
> research had comparible (ie. within 15%) prices to the majors and lower
> cost monitoring. of the 4 only sales folks were really good IMHO, and
> that included ADT. one independent salesman was very cocky, telling me
> "what you HAVE to have" and much of it was actually a sell DOWN tactic
> to get his system in the price range of what he thought ADT would come
> in at, instead of what I really needed. i was very clear to all of them
> i was willing to pay for a complete permiter system and i knew it
> wouldn't be cheap.
>
> of the 3 that were good 2 recommended wireless sensors (including ADT)
> although neither was clear on mounting issues for my design of windows
> and blinds rather both saying their installers "will find a way". the
> other recommended drilling of my new vinyl windows and voiding the
> warranty.
>
> the worst issue sadly for me was price. of the 3 i liked ADT was $3400,
> the other two independents were $4300 and $4900. the cheaper
> independent was using the same ademco products as ADT and included less
> systems in the price, for example ADT was including two way voice AND
> phone control of the system, something that the independent wasn't. the
> highest price independent (and most recommended) demanded i install 8
> fire detectors (despite my home already having 7), had HIGHER
> monitoring costs than ADT, a 2 times the cost service plan, but
> superior Elk hardware. one independent has monitoring costing 5 dollars
> less than ADT while the other was identical.
>
> all and all i was disappointed in the independents. i expected their
> installation costs to be moderatly higher, the monitoring/service costs
> to be less, and their presentation to be way above a major national
> like ADT. in the end the customer service i received from ADT so far,
> although not perfect, has been the BEST of all 4, the equipment MORE
> extensive, and the price FAR less for installation and "competitive"
> for monitoring. while I was entirely prepared to WANT an indpendent
> system and WILLING to pay a higher installation cost for it... I was
> not prepared for such a price difference in the face of customer
> service to date that is inferior to my local ADT office.
>
> i know this isn't the story nationwide and clearly there were more
> independents i could of interviewed, but at a certain point in time i
> need a darn system in the house. ;)

Just to reassure you, you're right!  Your experience of National vs
local independents is not what I would expect to hear. This has not
been the case in my experience and from most experiences that have
been recounted here in ASA.  I must also say that I've NEVER heard
of an ADT home installation team either. I think that they may have
created one ..... expecially for you.  Just make sure when installation
day comes along, that you're right there ...... before they begin...
asking
to see the size, type and location of the parts they intend to install.

You, having had three independents lose out to a National ....
certainly the
possibility is there for that to happen ... but the hardest thing of
all for
be to believe is that they're really are capable of installing a really

professionaly looking system in a home.