Re: Where to place smokes/heat?

here is the issue at hand guys, and sadly at certain point it *is* a
bottom line issue...

i interviewed 4 security companies in my home. all stayed for near or
over an hour. 3 were highly recommended independents which per some
research had comparible (ie. within 15%) prices to the majors and lower
cost monitoring. of the 4 only sales folks were really good IMHO, and
that included ADT. one independent salesman was very cocky, telling me
"what you HAVE to have" and much of it was actually a sell DOWN tactic
to get his system in the price range of what he thought ADT would come
in at, instead of what I really needed. i was very clear to all of them
i was willing to pay for a complete permiter system and i knew it
wouldn't be cheap.

of the 3 that were good 2 recommended wireless sensors (including ADT)
although neither was clear on mounting issues for my design of windows
and blinds rather both saying their installers "will find a way". the
other recommended drilling of my new vinyl windows and voiding the
warranty.

the worst issue sadly for me was price. of the 3 i liked ADT was $3400,
the other two independents were $4300 and $4900. the cheaper
independent was using the same ademco products as ADT and included less
systems in the price, for example ADT was including two way voice AND
phone control of the system, something that the independent wasn't. the
highest price independent (and most recommended) demanded i install 8
fire detectors (despite my home already having 7), had HIGHER
monitoring costs than ADT, a 2 times the cost service plan, but
superior Elk hardware. one independent has monitoring costing 5 dollars
less than ADT while the other was identical.

all and all i was disappointed in the independents. i expected their
installation costs to be moderatly higher, the monitoring/service costs
to be less, and their presentation to be way above a major national
like ADT. in the end the customer service i received from ADT so far,
although not perfect, has been the BEST of all 4, the equipment MORE
extensive, and the price FAR less for installation and "competitive"
for monitoring. while I was entirely prepared to WANT an indpendent
system and WILLING to pay a higher installation cost for it... I was
not prepared for such a price difference in the face of customer
service to date that is inferior to my local ADT office.

i know this isn't the story nationwide and clearly there were more
independents i could of interviewed, but at a certain point in time i
need a darn system in the house. ;)