Re: Suggest for placement of ADT/Ademco wireless window sensors

canyonblue@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Everywhere Man wrote:
>
>>Why are you asking other industry members to do ADT's job? You signed
>>with them so let them handle the issues. If they can't do it the way
>>you want it done then slow it down and find another company. Don't get
>>your shorts in a knot when you receive less than cordial replies
>>because those that compete with ADT don't take too kindly to being used
>>to solve an ADT problem for free.
>

> if you read my first post i made clear that i have talked to FOUR
> different alarm installers (of which ADT is one, the other 3 are highly
> recommended Chicago locals) and all FOUR had difficulty explaining how
> they would attempt to install the window contacts (three incuding ADT
> recommended wireless sensors but had little suggestions for how to
> avoid either putting my blinds out of place or putting the sensor dead
> center on the window pane and the other suggested drilling my new vinyl
> windows since "it won't void the warranty, we promise" despite my
> telling them i called the window manufacturer.)
>
> this wasn't an "ADT problem" it was a problem with the sales folks at
> numerous companies, all of which CAME TO MY HOUSE, and still couldn't
> explain how they could avoid major aesthetic issues with 22 windows.

Because salesmen aren't installers and very rarely do they know how such
a problem can be resolved.

In my own house, any windows I couldn't get a wire to, got a 5816 behind
the trim wired to a recessed contact. (and, yes there are drawings in
the can describing where the transmitters are located)

Putting the transmitters in single gang boxes such as Crash described is
another trick I've used.

Find out if your installers are paid by the hour or by the job.  A guy
paid hourly who has his bosses blessing on doing the job right will be
more likely to take the time necessary to do a job like yours correctly.

There are conscientious installers out there who are paid by the job,
but you are not guaranteed to get one.