Re: laptop serial port

Don wrote:
> "Bob La Londe" <nospam@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>> The other option is get ahold of UsedLaptops.com and see if they still
>> have any of those old bullteproof Toshiba laptops.
>
> yea, I have one of those old toshibas that works good butneed a newer
> operatingsystem for some software.  prob cheaper to upgrade to win 2000 than
> get a new laptop, kinda wanted a new one.     as slow a win98 is on that
> tecra I wonder how win 2000 would run on it?  hate to spend much on an old
> used laptop upgrade.

One thing to consider, if you don't want to spend the $900 or so on a
Dell Latitude D620, is that there are a lot of D610 Latitudes on the
used market. They will come with the balance of the Dell three year
warranty, and you can transfer it on-line. I prefer the D610 over the
D620 because the D610 also has a parallel port, and it has the
non-widescreen.

I also use infrared, and many manufacturers have dropped IR support. I
was never a big Dell fan, but I bought the D610 in desperation, needing
a laptop with a serial port, parallel port, and IR, and not wanting
external junk hanging off. Also, I need to run Linux sometimes, and need
the serial and parallel ports to work, something that would be unlikely
to happen with a USB to serial port or USB to parallel port converter.