Re: What is the "Proper" way to attach lead wire to in wall wire

inline...

"Artistry" <fake@xxxxxxxx> wrote in message
| Great!
|
| All my soldering equipment is in storage, hence the need to build a new
| house.  This FINALLY gives me a justification to purchase one of those
| cordless Cold Heat soldering tools.

It would be a good excuse to buy a new tool, but you can solder with a match
or butane lighter if you're careful. But use heatshrink tubing not tape.

| I personally could not think of anything that would be as reliable, but I
| thought that the industry would have adopted a less time consuming method.
|
| I didn?t recognize the phrases, ?Dry B-Beans,? or ?Gel filled B-Beans?.  I
| googled them with unrelated results.

Formal name: B-Connectors, we call them beanies.
The dry ones, are just that...dry inside.
The jelly ones have a gel inside to prevent corrosion.

http://www.smarthomeusa.com/Shop/Hardware-Cable/ELK-Accessories/Item/ELK-900-2/

These are very overpriced...just wanted to show ya what they look like.

| I?m not familiar with the ?the great-eol-discussion?, but it sounds like
the
| contentious, ?should totals be at the top of a spread sheet column, or at
| the bottom of the column? debate.  I looked in our company?s
professionally
| installed alarm system?s control box.  There I saw a mess of loose and
| connected wires, some with dangling resisters, and others without.

Yah, that would get the discussion going...end of line resistor in the panel
instead of out where they belong. Personally, I use a balance of in panel,
and eol...but sshhhh!

| I very much appreciate your response.  It will be applied tonight.
|
| Thanks,
| John

| > inline...
| >

| > "Artistry" <fake@xxxxxxxx> wrote in message
| > | Hi:
| > |
| > | I'm pre-wiring my house, and have a 16/2 homerun wire to each of my
| doors.
| > | My exterior doors are hung.  I have recessed magnetic switches, Senco
| > | 1125W-N, that I would like to install now, before the drywall and
| moldings
| > | are in place.
| >
| > Glad you amended that in your second post, 'cause you'd hate yourself
when
| > trying to connect 16/2 to a switch in a 3/8" recessed door hole!
| > Methods to connect:
| > Solder & Heat Shrink - if you have time, this is the best
| > Dry B-Beans
| > Gel filled B-Beans
| > Where we are we NEVER use tape, the heat makes the tape fall off or
move.
| > Better yet use switches that have micro-screw terminals!

| > |
| > | I can think of a dozen ways to connect the 12 inch lead wires to the
| > cable,
| > | but what is the "proper" way to make the connection?
| > |
| > | I have not decided on the actual alarm system yet.  Do I need to add a
| > | resister to the ends of the cable where the switches are?  If
resisters
| > are
| > | needed, can they be connected to the end of the wire inside the
control
| > box?
| > | Each cable is connected to only one switch, except the double French
| door.
| > | I will put a switch in for each door in series.
| >
| > Technically the resistors belong at the end of the line...at the device.
| But
| > if you dont know what panel you are going to install you won't know what
| > resistor value to put out there. Also, you won't know where to put them
if
| > you are looping doors/windows in the same zone - you only put one
resistor
| > per zone. If all your doors/windows will be on a separate zone then you
| > would need one at each.
| >
| > Although I am tempted, I will refrain from starting the
| great-eol-discussion
| > :-)

| > |
| > | Seems like information I should be able to find published, but I've
| > searched
| > | the web and many books from the library.  I can't find exact
| instructions
| > on
| > | the correct way to connect the cable to the lead wires.
| >
| > No doubt.

| > |
| > | Thanks,
| > | John