Re: Fire Alarm System Inspections. How and how much?

"Roland Moore" <roland@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> How long has it been since the last inspection?
> You're probably in for at least a 100% system check, cleaning and maybe bi
> annual obscuration test. You'd better know what your scope of work
requires
> before trying to figure a price. Don't forget a lift if necessary or after
> hours charges etc.
>
> "Paul Brewington" <pbrewington@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> > What do you check for when doing a routine yearly inspection.   How do
> > you price it out?   I have never done this and I now see the error of
> > my ways.    I need to get a program started and would like some
> > guidence.  Thanks PAul.

Your "yearly inspection" must have a proscribed format (you need inspection
forms).  NFPA would no doubt be able to give you some direction as well as
the local AHJ.  You must know the equipment (and I don't mean which buttons
to push to "lamp test" or "reset").  Most fire alarm systems are integrated
to key building equipment like fire pumps, elevators, generators, air
handling units, floor dampers, stairwell pressurization, etc.  If you don't
know what to look for during your inspection you won't be able to properly
sign off on the equipment as being "safe" or operating normally (or within
Code).  Get yourself a copy of the local building codes, NFPA, and be
familiar with local bylaws and ordinances which might affect the system.
Get yourself involved with any local fire prevention organization.  You can
pick up a lot there.  Download equipment manuals at the manufacturer's
websites (Notifier, FireLite, Edwards - now GE Security, Simplex/Grinnel -
now Tyco, Siemens).  Around here (Vancouver, B. C.),  fire inspections
involve a good deal more than just the Fire Alarm System.  Hoses,
extinguishers, sprinkler systems, fire pumps, fixed extinguishing systems
(engineered systems), etc. all require annual testing and service.

Most importantly, check with your insurance agent.  Let him know what you're
planning to do and be aware that signing off on some of the buildings you
might be called in to inspect could expose you to levels of liability your
present carrier may not wish to be exposed to.

Let me know if you'd like to look at some of the forms we use.  I can email
them to you or upload them to our website for you to view.