Re: Comcast Telephone Service????

"Nomen Nescio" <nobody@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:970c50d4b05904e83c2ed6ad80c56fa0@xxxxxxxxxxxx

> ...Even when using a "full rate" codec such as the G.711, it
> helps if "echo cancellation" and "silence suppression" are turned off, but
> I have no idea who does that, or how....

-- snip --

It would be the service provider.  The old AT&T "Truevoice" --ahem-
"enhancement" had the effect of clipping modem transmissions of 2400 BPS or
less.  Had to do repeated battles with their engineers.  They had an
internal memo, the contents of which they were quite secretive of, but one
engineer finally admitted to me it simply told them to turn off echo
cancellation for the affected customer.  From time to time some other
engineer would turn it back on, thinking there had been a mistake, and more
high level tech call fun ensued.  I am under the impression they finally
abandoned the "Truevoice" processing because of the general havoc it created
with slower data transfers.

I don't KNOW that it was the case, but I wouldn't be surprised if credit
card merchant transmissions were not being similarly affected.

X.