Re: Thanks for all the replies folks, a few more questions...

Roland Moore wrote:
> "Jim" <alarminex@xxxxxxx> wrote in message
> > The comments in the below post regarding the various brands and their
> > quality, usefulness, and position in ranking, is at the least,
> > speculative, subjective and ultimately, simply only the opinion of one
> > person.
>
> Isn't that statement of yours above an expanded version of me saying "My
> opinion" in the statement below? How long winded a qualification statement
> do you want to be included? Ultimately what is so incorrect as to get your
> dander up?

Let me respond to the last question first.

You'd know it if my "dander" had been upped.

My comment was meant to assure the person that what was your "opinion"
was not necessarly factual. As a matter of fact it was intended to be
simply a reply that I thought was more appropriate than actually
contradicting you, as I'm sure probably a number of others had the urge
to do also.

>From your response to my comment it's perhaps apparent that you may not
have considered that some of your comments tended to belittle products
that others have used with great success. I'd guess that you haven't
used every product that you commented on to the degree necessary to be
considered an expert on them. Therefore your "opinion" of quality
and/or level of how good they were, could be rather misleading to an
enduser, who doesn't know anything about any product. In other words
you could be killing a sale for an installer who would quote on a
system using some of the products that you have little or no experience
with. An installer who knows a hell of a lot more than you do about the
products you belittled, that would have otherwise been a good for the
OP.

Over a long time in ASA, it's sort of understood by most, that every
installer has his "favorite" best product, panel, device, or method and
when the subject comes up, those that choose to respond will usually
offer the benefits of their particular favorite and try not to deride
another product unless it is quite obvious that the product is
decidedly bad. Usually only Bass will argue the point that anything
that he thinks is the best ..... is acutally the best and that whatever
you think is the best is garbage.

That's all.

So you see, my original comment ........ was a lot shorter