Re: another newbie, what to do with this Brinks alarm system?

On Sat, 04 Nov 2006 01:11:36 GMT, "Roland" <roland@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

>You wrote "There are emerging technologies such as video analytics that
>could
> replace traditional security systems with much more reliable  technology."
> I am guessing you believe that? More reliable than what?

With the level of current technology, your completely right.  However,
technology does and will change.  On the commercial side,
interoperability and logical/ physical security convergence will have
many traditional alarm installers flipping burgers within a few years.
Intelligent video is part of that change.  I'm working on three
projects right now that use this technology to provide intrusion
detection in addition to assessment.  One of the vendors just got
picked up by Siemens, so, yeah, there's something to this technology.
The cheapie residential market may never go this direction, but
convergence is happening there too.  People will come to expect their
security system to be integrated with HA, HVAC, IHE, etc.  Again,
those who don't keep up will be left behind.  Something as simple as
IP phones has the entire industry scrambling for a solution.