another newbie, what to do with this Brinks alarm system?

Hello,

I'm new here as well, and have looked for a FAQ for the group and came
up empty, and I hope my question isn't too basic!

I've recently moved into a home that has a Brinks alarm system
installed, looks to have been installed in 2004.  We opted not to
continue the rather pricey monthly monitoring service given the
neighborhood, and the proportion of time we spend at home.  (The prior
owners I'm told were working out of the country and had it installed
due to their absence).

Anyway, we have all this hardware, wired door and window sensors,
other sensors labeled as "PIR" devices (passive infrared if my
research is to believed?) inside the control box that I assume are the
motion detectors I see up on the walls of various locations in the
house.  I'm thinking there's got to be a way to put all these goodies
to use with a do it yourself sort of setup that maybe could leverage
an internet or phone connection to call my cell phone in case of
trouble.

The main box of the alarm has a circuit board that's about 8x4" with
no real identifying marks on it.  I would have to assume I'd have to
get a new controller board for the DIY system and then just re-use all
the existing sensors?

Anyone with experience doing the same?

Thanks for any insight or advice, or a pointer to some good jumpstart
resources for reading/research.

Best Regards,
Todd