Re: another newbie, what to do with this Brinks alarm system?

Yah that's what they said when the baby bells were gonna do alarms...that
lasted what? a year or two. Same thing when utility companies tried their
hand in security...oh damn we have to service these things too?...that
lasted a year or two as well.

It'll be interesting to be sure...Microsoft Security maybe...yah that's it.

"J. @netscape.net>" <jsloud2001<removeme> wrote in message

| A burglar alarm does not guarantee a family's safety.  That's a
| terrible perception that depends on the public's misinformed ideas
| about how residential burglar alarm systems work and the effectiveness
| of police agencies that usually despise the alarm companies who waste
| police resources with a 90% false alarm rate.  Your not protecting
| your family with a $30 a month burglar alarm system.  All you're doing
| is giving yourself a false sense of security.  Almost all residential
| alarm signals are false alarms.  The vast majority of alarm company
| generated police dispatches are for false alarms.  Alarm calls receive
| the lowest police dispatch priority.  Some jurisdictions have stopped
| responding to alarm signals at all.  Others charge a permitting fee
| and a steep false alarm penalty.   You can debate the reasons for this
| and who's fault it is, but the fact remains, this industry depends on
| a misguided public perception of mysterious, circling 1's and 0's that
| protect families with magical powers and instantaneous response from
| concerned law enforcement.  This is what is shown on television
| commercials and what the alarm salesmen tell the unsuspecting public.
|
| The good news is that there is pressure on the industry to fix this.
| There are emerging technologies such as video analytics that could
| replace traditional security systems with much more reliable
| technology.  The false alarm penalties and third party alarm response
| laws will force the trunkslammers and zero down marketers to rethink
| their strategies.  My guess is that we'll see the most radical shift
| that we've ever experiences in this industry within the next 5 to 10
| years.  With IT companies like IBM and Cisco wanted part of the
| security integration market, it's just a matter of time before someone
| comes alaong and does it better that what we have right now.  It's
| already started in the high end goverment/ industrial markets.
|
| J.
|
| On 3 Nov 2006 15:06:36 -0800, "Everywhere Man" <alarminstall@xxxxxxx>
| wrote:
| .
| >All of the Brinks negatives aside look at what this guy is saying. He
| >lives in a nice neighborhood, so the house wasn't cheap, he's having a
| >hard time justifying $27 a month for family safety, and he's making the
| >world aware of this on his $1000.00 computer which accesses the
| >internet for probably $25 a month.
| >Talk about having fucked up priorities.
| >

| >Crash Gordon wrote:
| >> Basically you throw out the alarm panel and the keypads and buy
something
| >> else you can install your self. Everything else should be reusable
although
| >> you might have to look for buried resistors if they put them at the end
> [...]
| >> |
| >> |
| >> |
| >> |