Re: another newbie, what to do with this Brinks alarm system?

"J. @netscape.net>" <jsloud2001<removeme> wrote in message

> A burglar alarm does not guarantee a family's safety.  That's a
> terrible perception that depends on the public's misinformed ideas
> about how residential burglar alarm systems work and the effectiveness
> of police agencies that usually despise the alarm companies who waste
> police resources with a 90% false alarm rate.  Your not protecting
> your family with a $30 a month burglar alarm system.  All you're doing
> is giving yourself a false sense of security.

Funny, thats not what the ADT commercial advertises. All those ones and
zeros forming a protective barrier, even their slogan "always there".  And
btw, it's largely the fault of ADT and other lick and stick give aways that
the market has been swamped with poorly installed, false alarm generating
systems.

 >Almost all residential
> alarm signals are false alarms.  The vast majority of alarm company
> generated police dispatches are for false alarms.

Again, thanks in large part to ADT and others who put RMR above all else.

>Alarm calls receive
> the lowest police dispatch priority.

No they don't. They fall in between priority one calls and cold crimes where
no suspect info is known.

>Some jurisdictions have stopped
> responding to alarm signals at all.  Others charge a permitting fee
> and a steep false alarm penalty.   You can debate the reasons for this
> and who's fault it is, but the fact remains, this industry depends on
> a misguided public perception of mysterious, circling 1's and 0's that
> protect families with magical powers and instantaneous response from
> concerned law enforcement.  This is what is shown on television
> commercials and what the alarm salesmen tell the unsuspecting public.

Ah, the ADT commercial.

> The good news is that there is pressure on the industry to fix this.
> There are emerging technologies such as video analytics that could
> replace traditional security systems with much more reliable
> technology.  The false alarm penalties and third party alarm response
> laws will force the trunkslammers and zero down marketers to rethink
> their strategies.

Where do you get the stones? Your company has totally fucked up this
industry, and it's perception by public and police. Now you have the
chutzpah to say:

"The good news is that there is pressure on the industry to fix this.
 There are emerging technologies such as video analytics that could
 replace traditional security systems with much more reliable
 technology.  The false alarm penalties and third party alarm response
 laws will force the trunkslammers and zero down marketers to rethink
 their strategies."

So, you're done pissing on the industry, and like a dog you kick dirt on it
and move on down the block, never looking back. Great.

>My guess is that we'll see the most radical shift
> that we've ever experiences in this industry within the next 5 to 10
> years.  With IT companies like IBM and Cisco wanted part of the
> security integration market, it's just a matter of time before someone
> comes alaong and does it better that what we have right now.  It's
> already started in the high end goverment/ industrial markets.

I have to agree with that, there is a lot of room for improvement.
js