Re: Bob LaLonde and/or Bob Campbell

"Bob La Londe" <nospam@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:4471c9da$0$24305$88260bb3@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Glad to see you are doing the MSF course.  That is the best protection you
> can have.  A SNELL/DOT helmet also makes sense.

Indeed good helmets do.  None of the flip fronts are Snell approved.  One of
the mainstream MC mags took on Snell recently as overkill and possible less
safe for certain head types and accident conditions..  They may well have a
point.

> Dragon or Dragin (don't recall which name is correct) are a very good knee
> and ass protector.    A reenforced ridding suit with kevlar armor plates
> is
> better.  Probably not necessary unless you become one of those knee
> dragging
> speed junkies that refer to us cruiser riders as rolling speed bumps.  I
> mostly wear heavy jeans, but...

Draggin.  You pay a lot for them, not sure they will help that much.  I
think Motoport and Fieldsheer have mesh suits.  Then there is always a
'stich (www.aerostich.com).  The real issue with protective gear is the
willingness to wear it.  If its too hot, it will get left behind at times.

> Joe Rocket jackets have a very good reputation, but when I tried one on
> that
> was "my size" I had to scream at the sales rep for help to get the damned
> thing off.

Thus my comment about they run small.  Fieldsheer runs larger.

> Leather is a decent protector for the price, but it does not breath at
> all.

Leather without armor is not as good choice as ballistc with armor, but its
better than a t-shirt

> Boots are always a very wise choice.  Some counties in Neveada prohibit
> stupid choices like sandals, but for the most part any foot wear is legal
> in
> the states.  I don't look for a motorcycle boot.  I look for a waterproof
> steel toe walking boot that is as comfortable to wear and walk in as
> possible.  I have found that Wal-Mart carries some cheap lines that I like
> very much and wear everyday to work.  They only last about 6-10 months,
> but
> they are the most comfortable to wear over my smashed foot.

Boots with laces are not a good thing.  They can get tangled in the foot
controls.  As I recall the Bergman is a super scooter that has no foot
controls so that may be less of an issue.  They are really a bad idea on
sport bikes.  Ive settled on the ~$120 street boots (Oxtar and others) as a
decent compromise.  These
http://www.newenough.com/tour_master_response_sc_road_boot_page.htm are also
a good choice, esp for a scooter.

Enjoy the riding Robert and be careful.  A Bergman is still scooter with
short wheel base and small wheels.  Stay off the Interstate when you have a
choice and watch for potholes or bad pavement.  Scooters don't so as well as
a MC with larger wheels and better suspensions.  Finaly remember that on the
street everyone is really out to get you, not just Mike.