Re: Ultrasonic Sensors

>> Not only is it illegal to machine trench over or
>> within 3 feet of a locate mark, it is considered
>> incredibly stupid...
>
> You're the one who boasted that your company did so.

We made mistakes- specifically, our operator made a mistake. I think he
thought he could "sneak" over it if he trenched our 18" depth over what was
supposed to be 36" minimum. He gambled and lost. Of corse, he claimed to
have missed the locate, but it was clear as day, since 3-phase is located
with different marks here.

>> We've found electric svc drops at 12"....
>
> Uh-huh, sure.

Google it, Robert. You're a "google expert". I'm sure you'll find plenty of
instances of shallow svc drops, because they are much more common than most
people realize.

>> ... Also, any svc utilities on one's property...
>> --- snip stuff intended to scare DIYer into hiring a pro ---
>
>> Takes a trained eye to spot these things reliably...
>
> Like the one your guy was looking through when he hit the high tension
> line? You can't have it both ways, Barfbuckle.  Either this stuff is
> easier than you claim it is or you and your coworkers are incompetent
> clods.  Either way the client is better off DIY.

Trenching is simple. Doing it safely and without fucking things up is
difficult. We made mistakes, and paid the price. You argue with so many
people that you don't even remember what you're arguing about, or the
details involved, huh Sparky? Yeah- he's better off DIY trenching around his
property. Uhuh. You believe this shit, don't you?

>> Anyway, point is it isn't wise to tell folks
>> to "go for it"...
>
> It's wiser than telling everyone to "hire a pro" to do simple low voltage
> work just because that's how you make your living.

Don't have to "hire a pro", as I've said many times, idiot. Just have to be
responsible and professional enough to lay out the real risks and drawbacks
in an honest way. I CAN replace the transmission in my truck, but it doesn't
mean I should, or that the guy at Autozone is being ethical when he says
"it's no problem". It's his responsibility to caution me of the risks if he
knows I've never done it before, and my decision to make as to whether I do
it or not. Of course, since he's just selling me parts, like you, he has no
interest in whether I do it safely or correctly- he just wants to push
parts. That's what separates ethical people from gutter scum like you. I
sell parts to DIY'ers all the time, Roberta- I also provide appropriate info
and proper caution, and recommend professional HELP to the ones who seem to
need it. Whether they heed my advice is up to them, but after I've provided
it, I can sleep well at night knowing that I've done the right thing.

I haven't "made my living" with UG construction since '88 or '89, but you
didn't remember that I stated the time frame since it's inconvenient to the
"them or us" argument you are trying to build.