Re: Can a Napco system & DSL connection co-exist?

"FIRETEK" <firetech(change-the-ch-to-k)@telus.net> wrote in message
> Splitting hairs even further, why take the chance on a single phone line
> for
> your alarm system?  "Seems like a no brainer" to include cellular or
> wireless backup for every installation but how often is it done?

Ok, if you'll pay for it.:)

> Mr. Bass
> was correct in his response.

so he was correct when he said my advice was wrong?  I don't see that.

>In reviewing the OP's diagram (however crude
> it was), you don't need a filter for the alarm panel to communicate with
> the
> monitoring facility.

I have had dsl interfere with cs communications before, so I believe you do
need a filter.  maybe not every time but enough to just go ahead and do it
up front and eliminate any potential problems.

> Don't get me wrong, I'm not taking sides here.  I agree with "Petem" that
> there is a risk (however small) of a problem developing in the DSL line
> and
> that the correct way to wire any single line communicator would be to use
> the Excelsus Filter to eliminate even that small chance.

I'm glad you agree with me.  You're obviously a very intelligent and well
spoken individual.

> Before this particular filter was on the market, the only way to ensure
> uniterrupted DSL and alarm communication was to wire the PROT exactly as
> the
> OP describes.  I'm certain there are still many installations out there
> that
> retain this type of wired connection.  What are you (the industry) doing
> address these?

I don't have any wired that way.  But if I did I would wire them with the
RJ31X in front of everything else and use the filter as I have always done.