Re: NFPA 72 test

captainvideo462002@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

> I have ordered a copy of NFPA72 and it should be here tomorrow, however
> it is 235 pages and this seems like a monumental task to learn
> everything in this book in just perhaps a week.

The body of the standard, the "shall" language, is about 100 pages.
Add a tab to each chapter. 1-11, and review a chapter each day before
your test.

> Now I'm certain that I
> can deal with circuits etc. but in service you don't get involved with
> heights, placement, applications etc. You do repairs and replacement.
> Basically you restore what is already there. I have been doing this for
> years and I feel that when it comes to troubleshooting and repairing
> things, I'm a good technician, but as far as knowing all the other
> rules and remembering them all, I don't know.

If it's a closed-book test, I don't think that they will ask anything
too difficult.

> Years ago I passed an FCC First Class Radio Telephone license test. I
> did take a class but there were study guides available  along with
> practice exams. The guides and especially the sample test questions
> were extremely helpful. I have inquired and there are no upcoming
> classes planned for our area and I have not been able to locate any
> kind of study guides of the type mentioned above either.

Where are you located?

> Now I want to
> stress that I'm not looking for a free ride here. If I pass this test
> it will be on my own merits but this is a big account and it and quite
> possibly our financial future could be placed in jeopardy if I cannot
> get through this test and in a timely manner.
> In leiu of reading through the entire book and trying to remember
> everything I've read, would anyone have or know of any type of study
> guides that would help me and perhaps know where I might obtain a copy
> of a sample test so that I would at least know primarily what they
> would most likely be looking for?

The test you are talking about is probably a local requirement.  If
they don't have sample questions, you're out of luck.

> My success on this test will mean a
> lot to our family so I appreciate any advice and assistance offered.
> Lenny.

I'm willing to help you as much as I can and I'm not traveling this
week, so give me a call at 503-657-8888, 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. pacific time.

Good luck,

Mike

--
Michael B. Baker, SET