Re: Internet Communicators

> Don't build your own.  Bosch C900V2 does this, and you can buy one from
> ADI.  Of course, it's a Bosch product, so you need a 6600 receiver at the
> other end to talk to it.  I assume you have one.

Bob Dolph writes a column in SSI.  Following is a brief quote
from his comments on the subject:  "VoIP Can Strengthen Link to
Central Station if Done Right

"One of the fastest places that technology is moving forward is
with homes having access to the Internet.

"Existing ?plain old telephone service? (POTS) customers on a
daily basis are being enticed by voice over Internet protocol
(VoIP) services and its considerable savings in operating costs.

"However, many customers do not realize their existing monitored
alarm system will, at best, work intermittently with the new
service. The only time they may find this out is when a panel
alarms but their central station never receives it. This has
raised much concern in the alarm industry.

"An innovative approach to this communication problem is an
interface device known as a universal ?dialer capture? module.
One device in particular is the Bosch C900V2 dialer capture
module that can be used to upgrade existing alarm panels to
communicate over high-speed Internet (IP) connections.

"There are many positives to Internet monitoring once a reliable
connection has been established. At the central station, new
head-end, receiver/gateway communication systems such as the
Bosch D6600 with NetCom can provide secured Internet
communications via an 128-bit Rijndael encryption protocol.

"Systems like the C900V2 have built-in supervision or ?heartbeat?
signals provided to make sure Internet VoIP connections are
intact."

It is noteworthy that, as Bob Dolph points out, this kind of
Internet monitoring can actually be an improvement over standard
digital dialing over POTS lines because it offers a "heartbeat",
the loss of which can trigger a response by the monitoring
center.  If the premises POTS phone goes out of service or is cut
the central station has no way to know it at the time.

IMO this is one more reason why VoIP service is going to drive
some alarm companies out of business and others to greater
success.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass

Bass Burglar Alarms
The Online DIY Store
http://www.BassBurglarAlarms.com

--

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large
groups.