Re: Great deal, great product.

Robert L Bass wrote:

> Knowing what that abbreviation means indicates you're not a
> newcomer in ASA, most likely just one of the regulars using yet
> another alias.

Heh...  Right...

> Nope.  Newsgroups  (they're not "groups") are created by hosting
> ISPs in response to a standardized formal request which one
> individual posts.  There's an appropriate newsgroup for that
> where you can learn how to do so.

Most of us are familiar with the process.  We've even witnessed the
birth of a few "offshoots".  Frank is correct, though.  One individual
spearheaded the request and several others *in the INDUSTRY* supported
its formation.  I don't think you were involved at all.

> The newsgroup was created as a place for ANYONE interested in
> security, not just those in the INDUSTRY (why are we yelling?) to
> discuss matters related to electronic security.

Wrong.  Read the FAQ, Robert.  Read the originating message.  Both are
available at http://www.yoursecuritysource.com.

> This isn't an industry related convention.

You are patently wrong.

> It's an open
> newsgroup where anyone interested in the subject is welcome to
> post questions and answers.

It's patently "INDUSTRY" related.

> The only ones not welcome are
> netcops who think they can decide who can say what.  Get the
> hint?

He's not a netcop if that's what you mean.  He's someone that's
expressed his thoughts succinctly and interpreted all the facts correctly.

> The "FAQ" you are referring to has no authority.  It's just a
> nice which idea someone wrote down many years ago and which no
> one has ever heeded.

It's interesting how the entire Group sort of gravitates in its
direction when you're "away" for any time.  Things around here are
actually civil.

> Neither the author of that page nor you are in charge of decided
> who can respond to what or in what manner they may respond.

I don't think he inferred that, but go ahead.  This is, after all what
*you* do best.

> You've expressed concern over how I might best spend my efforts
> (the idea clearly being that you'd rather I not answer DIYers'
> queries in ASA).

I wasn't even going to comment on your reply, but *this* is exactly what
drew me to post a response.  Please show us where *exactly* he said this!!

> In that light I'd like to suggest that your
> efforts would be better spent elsewhere.

I'd actually prefer he remain here.  He brings a "fresh voice" to the
Group (and one I'm very interested in reading).

> Uh-huh.  Drop dead and on the way down hit your head.  That was a
> suggestion, not a flame.

Sure it was.  Another unprovoked attack on an individual you don't even
know.

> So much for you being a new visitor.  I haven't used that
> expression in quite some time, although the term is certainly
> still appropriate.

Anyone that has Google and knows how to use it will come across it many
times.

> High road?  Olson?  You're kidding, right?

Since you have me "filtered", how would you really know??

> In all probability you are Olson using another alias.

Heh...  Right!!

Frank Olson AKA Frank "four" (sorry Mark but there really *is* a four)
http://www.yoursecuritysource.com