Re: Suggestions for (Low) Temperature and Water alarms

> Since most of my wire is 4-conductor and I can't think of any reason for a
> high temp sensor (I already have 14 wired smokes in the house and 1
> heat detector in the garage) shouldn't I just consider having one zone
> using +/- and the two wires for the cold sensor?

That'll work fine.

Side note:  Just in case you ever need it, there is a way to monitor two nearby
powered devices using a single, 4-wire cable.  Most alarm and home automation
control panels use the common negative for one side of the zone (sensing
circuit) wiring.

Most 4-wire alarm cable is red, black, yellow and green.  Connect +12VDC from to
the red wire and -12VDC to the black.  At one sensor connect an EOL resistor
between the negative (-12VDC) terminal and the (C) alarm output terminal.
Attach the yellow wire to the (NC) alarm output terminal.

Run a short piece of 4-conductor cable between the first and second detector.
Parallel the (+) and (-) wires.  Again bridge and EOL resistor between the
(-12VDC) and the (C) terminal.  Connect the green wire to the (NC) terminal.

Back at the panel, connect the red and black to (+) and (-) 12VDC.  Connect the
yellow to one zone and the green to another zone.  You now have two supervised
circuits running on a single 4-conductor cable.

I've done this occasionally when we needed to add a second motion or glass break
detector on the opposite side of the wall where an existing one was already
installed.  The technique can be slightly modified to provide a supervised
tamper circuit on a powered device or to monitor two separate outputs (like hot
and cold temperature, for example) on one sensor.

> Also, any recommendations on a good water/flood sensor for the
> basement?

Winland electronics also make water leak / flood detectors called "WaterBug
Alerts".  I've used them in numerous locations, including under floor wireways
in computer rooms, under carpets in residences, next to sump pumps to detect
failures, etc.  I've also sold them to waste water treatment facilities around
the country.  They're installed in pumping stations to warn of high waste water
levels.  Combined with a voice/pager dialer, they make an inexpensive backup to
the elaborate (expensive) pump monitoring systems.

Here's a link to the manufacturer.  You can find pricing on my website if that's
of interest.
http://www.winland.com/security/products.php?category_id=2

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass

Bass Burglar Alarms
The Online DIY Store
http://www.BassBurglarAlarms.com

--

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups.