Re: "My alarm is making a noise"

> I had one once that the customer swore
> blind was the lounge PIR causing the beeping...

I had one client call once to complain that the light on the smoke detector
was "locked on".  The account was monitored and there had been no fire alarm
signal.  I checked the panel by modem and everything was normal -- no fire
alarm or trouble condition.  I asked her which smoke detector it was.  She
said "the one at the top of the cellar stairs."  Well, we didn't install
smokes at the *top* of the basement stairs.  The system smoke was at the
bottom of the stairs.

I explained that the detector she was looking at was one of the 110VAC
detectors that the electrician installed -- not one of ours -- and that the
constant red LED was normal for that type.  She insisted it was ours and
demanded that I come out and service it at once.  When I got there I went to
the basement, showed her our detector and showed her the difference between
the two types.

No apology.  No thank you.  She said something about how I should have
explained all of that on the phone.  I handed her an invoice which she of
course never paid.  That's one more reason I prefer servicing DIYers.  They
don't expect you to come out and fix things that aren't broken.  :^)

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass

Bass Home Electronics