Re: Window Foil vs. Glass Breaks

On Sun, 11 Jun 2006 18:17:56 -0700, "Doug L" <vssdoug@xxxxxxx> wrote:

>Ask them how  they test the air bag in the car.
>
>Doug L
>
>--
>
>"G. Morgan" <alarmpro@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>> On Mon, 12 Jun 2006 01:01:06 GMT, "Jim Rojas" <jrojas@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>We have had cases of glassbreaks 10 ft high within 15 feet of the
>>>glassbreak
>>>not going off.
>>

>> That is the problem with those things, no real world test.
>>

>> I have had to dance around with clients regarding the big question:
>> "How do I test it?"
>>

>> The short answer is: " You would have to break the glass".
>>
>> The long answer is: " I have a glassbreak simulator provided by the
>> manufacturer that can simulate the initial "thug" followed by the
>> "shattering sound" (insert poorly made simulation by mouth)"  And all
>> that has to occur within a certain millisecond range, because it's
>> dual-tech and that's much better sir---  because the old one falsed by
>> sneezing and clapping and... this one is much better"
>>

>> Customer:  "How do I know it works?"
>>
>> Me:  "It just does"

In a good system, glassbreak detectors should not be the only form of
perimeter protection.   Wired screens, photobeams, even the lowly
plunger contact should be used to supplement whenever possible.

Every system should have some interior traps as well, be it passive
IR, under floor mats, interior doors wired, or ultrasonic or microwave
detectors.

Beachcomber