Re: newbie needs help with security cameras in business

con and pro of pc dvr

pro=>

easy to service if you have knowledge on pc harfdware,parts easily
available..

con =>

subject to all pc virus and problem,  instability with pc that stay on all
the time ,autoupdate of the OS is giving more trouble then fixing
anything,same for virus scan,slow the pc and can even crash the app that do
the grabbing,but cant live without it cause of virus on the network..

Hardware dvr pro and con

Pro=>

not subject to virus,and hard to hack inside,can be on the unsecure side of
the network with out having to take the network admin to the psy every week
so that he can take the pressur of having a machine outside of his
firewall..(provide remote viewing with out a glitch)
not subject to freeze cause of no shutdown or reboot for month/years..

con=>

hard to service inside parts,wont accept any type of hard disk,become
obsolete after 5 years and cant have parts from manufacturer cause they now
have new unit..

yes you can build one from a pc,but my experience is that ANY pc dvr is
shit,and if you dont spend big bucks on thje pc itself,it wont be very
usefull...allways crashing and unstable..

1150806021.302875.123270@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx