Re: Compact cheap "surveilance" camera

<bitsyboffin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> Yes, we're putting a self closing springeethingee on the combination
> door, and double locking the ranch slider (and not giving out keys, so
> it can't be opened at all unless an executive member is there).  That
> should at least keep the place locked in the winter, it's not going to
> set the alarm and turn the lights out though.
>
> In the summer it might be a different story, the door tends to get
> propped open to keep the place cool during the day and people are there
> later in the summer too, so probably more chance for people to think
> "oh, somebody else will close it".
>
> Maybe alarm monitoring would work, but I just think it would be more
> trouble (and expense) than it's worth, if the alarm company rings up at
> 2am to say the alarm's not set, either they would have to drive 1/2 an
> hour out there close up, and drive 1/2 an hour back, or one of us
> would.
>
> My idea was simply to try and tell those who have left it open, to not
> do it again, but to do that you have to figure out who it was that left
> it open.  With 120 people it could have been, it's not as easy as
> saying "was it you", and a blanket "don't leave the place unlocked"
> just doesn't work (the members have been told, and told, and told
> again, to no avail).

I agree that alarm monitoring doesn't address the issue. The self locking
door is a good start. There was also a suggestion for a $20 web cam with
motion detector software. That is probably your best bet.

I set one up and it worked pretty well. It records for 30 seconds every time
it sees motion. The Camera cost me $20 and the software was under $40.
Doesn't use too much hardware or disk space. It was set to automatically
delete clips over 7 days old.

I would also get a timer switch for the lights. You have to get up and turn
them back on every 30 minutes. I installed one in my basement because the
kids always forgot to turn off the lights and I was too lazy to go down the
stairs and do it myself.

If you could rig a magnet to hold the door open when the lights are on, you
would be well on your way to solving everything. If nobody re-sets the light
timer, the lights go off and the door shuts and locks every thirty minutes.
If someone is there, they have to get up, turn on the lights, and open the
door again.