Re: DVR

patrick.hurley@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Anyone have any recommendations on DVR technology?   I have a 4 channel
> DVR but it doesn't cut it.  First generation DVR technology and very
> grainy at night.

Most DVRs have picture quality control that lets you choose between
quality and storage. Better pictures = shorter archive. If you had yours
setup for most storage, you'll really sacrifice quality. Additionally,
pictures on DVRs are usually grainier than your analog monitor viewing
because you don't have the CRT pixel smearing that smoothes out any sharp
edges. On top of that, you always have some quality loss due to
compression, even at high quality setting and also, especially on those PC
converts, you are watching the picture on a monitor that has resolution
much higher than your camera and all the pixels look blown up.

The camera that you got from Smarthome looks quite OK as far as its spec.
It's actually better then just OK, it looks great. Make sure you have all
the DIP switches (if any) in correct positions for AGC and backlight
compensation (depending on the actual lighting condition at the site). You
also want to make sure the camera is not looking directly at some light
source that you might have missed when installing camera during a day.

Good luck!

D~

Delivered via http://www.secure-gear.com
The Internet Knowledge Base for the security industry
alt.security.alarms - 19016 messages and counting!