Re: Is it legal to have surveillance cameras at home?

On 20 Jul 2006 13:51:08 -0700, cousin.it.addams@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

>I would appreciate it if someone could give me some insight into laws
>on surveillance cameras in the state of Washington.

It's always best to check with a lawyer concerning any type of
surveillance.  Not only do laws vary from state to state, but there
could be some sort of local ordinance against whatever you're trying
to do.  As a general rule, video surveillance is permitted wherever
there isn't a reasonable expectation of privacy.  For instance, in a
bathroom, hotel room, or private office, there is a reasonable
expectation of privacy and video surveillance is usually not allowed.
In a lobby, open shared workplace, or most anywhere outdoors it is
fine.  Obviously, covert cameras are more likely to raise an eyebrow
since they imply spying.  We generally post a sign or place a window
sticker in an obvious location  to inform anyone who cares that their
activities may be video recorded or monitored remotely.  CCTV is very
widely used in apartment complexes, condos, and hotel common areas.