Re: Can security experts break an ADT alarm system

"J. @netscape.net>" <jsloud2001<removeme> wrote in message
> On Mon, 10 Jul 2006 10:38:49 -0700, "Brent" <Brent@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>

>>What is a line security. You need to elaborate on it for security novices
>>like me.
>>
> Line security means that the communications means is supervised.
> There are several ways to accomplish this included dedicated leased
> phone lines, two-way long range radio, and network-based
> communicators.  If communication between the alarm panel and
> monitoring station is compromised, the monitoring station can dispatch
> the proper authorities.

ADT installers took more than a month to set up a door alarm system and a
cell backup package. I have had problems with zones going off even though
the panel was not activated and CS getting communication problem between the
panel and the radio tower and what not. I am literally sick of the security
system but have no choice but to go along with it.

ADT installer came to my home at least 7 times in the last 40 days to fix
various problems and even now I am not sure if it works. The last two days
the CS didnt get any false signals but I am not holding my breath.

Some security experts had access to my panel when I was not home. I am not
sure if they had anything to do with the mal-functioning and all those zone
and communication problems.

Is it possible the communication between the alarm panel and the monitoring
station has been compromised and if so can I request ADT to do some kind of
tests to make sure the communication is not breached.

>>I do have a cell backup up package and how difficult is it for
>>sophisticated
>>thieves with lot of secuirty systems expertise to break it like our friend
>>rosalnathan speculated yesterday.
>>

> While it may be possible to jam a cellular communicator, it is highly
> unlikely that someone could get to a properly installed and secured
> unit in time to physically disable without a great deal of prior
> knowledge.
>

> I've had the opportunity to design systems that secure very sensitive
> facilities and I'm confident that when designed, installed, and
> operated properly; even an industry insider could not compromise
> them..

May be thats true for high end systems used by businesses and banks but we
are talking about individual homes and apartments here.

So I am not that confident.

>Some of the standards that apply to these designs are in the
> public domain.  If you are interested in the way these facilities are
> secured google "DCID 6/9" and "NISPOM" and read the sections on
> intrusion detection systems (IDS).  Remember that physical security is
> more important than alarms, and most of these manuals deal with that
> aspect.
>
> J.

Thanks for your kind responses. Its hard to find somebody like you here
without any sarcasm.