Re: Can security experts break an ADT alarm system

On Mon, 10 Jul 2006 10:38:49 -0700, "Brent" <Brent@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

>What is a line security. You need to elaborate on it for security novices
>like me.

Line security means that the communications means is supervised.
There are several ways to accomplish this included dedicated leased
phone lines, two-way long range radio, and network-based
communicators.  If communication between the alarm panel and
monitoring station is compromised, the monitoring station can dispatch
the proper authorities.  This is typically used in high risk
applications like cash vaults and classified storage facilities.

>I do have a cell backup up package and how difficult is it for sophisticated
>thieves with lot of secuirty systems expertise to break it like our friend
>rosalnathan speculated yesterday.

While it may be possible to jam a cellular communicator, it is highly
unlikely that someone could get to a properly installed and secured
unit in time to physically disable without a great deal of prior
knowledge.

I've had the opportunity to design systems that secure very sensitive
facilities and I'm confident that when designed, installed, and
operated properly; even an industry insider could not compromise
them..  Some of the standards that apply to these designs are in the
public domain.  If you are interested in the way these facilities are
secured google "DCID 6/9" and "NISPOM" and read the sections on
intrusion detection systems (IDS).  Remember that physical security is
more important than alarms, and most of these manuals deal with that
aspect.

J.