Re: Can security experts break an ADT alarm system

"J. @netscape.net>" <jsloud2001<removeme> wrote in message
> On Sun, 9 Jul 2006 19:58:07 -0700, "Brent" <Brent@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>
>>Can security experts break anybodys door alarm system by reprogramming it
>>and making the system useless or control it remotely ?
>>
>>Is it normal for the door alarm panel not to ask for code, when "stay" is
>>pressed. The manual says it will ask for the code when "Stay" is pressed.
>>

> It's far more likely that a thief would attempt to disable the system
> locally than try to hack it remotely.  ADT uses a special version of
> the remote DLL software used to remotely program alarm panels.
> Occassionaly you'll see someone here ask for a copy and be told that
> there aren't any.  AFAIK, there aren't any copies floating around out
> there and you can't reprogram an ADT panel remotely without it.  I
> would be much more concerned with the possibility that the link to the
> monitoring center could be compromised.  That's why the most secure
> systems like those that protect government secrets and bank vaults
> typically use some type of line security;  a feature typically not
> found on run-of-the-mill alarm systems.

What is a line security. You need to elaborate on it for security novices
like me.

>At a minimum, you should at
> least use some type of wireless communications device as a
> communications back-up.

I do have a cell backup up package and how difficult is it for sophisticated
thieves with lot of secuirty systems expertise to break it like our friend
rosalnathan speculated yesterday.