Re: Napco MA3000 - Dialer Test on both Lines?

Frank Olson said:

>My copy of NFPA 71 doesn't mention that.  It only states that "each DACT
>shall automatically initiate and complete a test signal transmission
>sequence to its associated DACR at least once every 24 hours."  AFAIK
>that remains the only requirement other than the one that states that
>failure of a telephone line shall be annunciated locally and transmitted
>to the DACR within 4 minutes on the second (backup) line.

God damn Canadians! :-)  Stick to your Canadian standards!

First of all, NFPA 71 no longer exists.  It hasn't for a lot of years now.
The National Fire Alarm Code (in the US) is NFPA 72.

Refer to 8.5.3.2.1.4 in the 2002 edition, and you will find the following:

(B) The following requirements shall apply to all combinations [of
transmission channels] listed in 8.5.3.2.1.4(A):

(1) Both channels shall be supervised in a manner approved for the means of
transmission employed,

(2) Both channels shall be tested at intervals not exceeding 24 hours.

Exception No. 2:  Where two telephone lines (numbers) are used,  it shall
be permitted to test each telephone line (number) at alternating 24-hour
intervals.

(3) The failure of either channel shall send a trouble signal on the other
channel within 4 minutes.

I believe that requirement was added at some point, perhaps after this
Napco panel received its UL listing.  In which case, this requirement is
not retroactive for existing systems.  However, a newly installed system
would have to comply, and if the panel is incapable of doing so, I would
say it cannot be used on a new install.

- badenov