Re: DSC Encore PIR

Do I understand correctly that you asked for the alarm company to
install pet resistant detectors but they installed DSC Encore 301D
detectors?  Now they want more money to install what you asked for in
the first place?  If that is the situation, they really should replace
the detectors at no cost to you.

I notice you placed a "?" after the model number.  If by that you meant
that the existing detectors are actually model 301DP, then those are
pet resistant.  DSC claims they can handle a 60-pound dog.

I've rarely used DSC detectors on my jobs, partly because I had other
brands that performed well and partly because a few DSC detectors I
tried gave less than stellar performance.  Everyone has his own
preferences.  I like Visonic's K-980D which is a dual technology
(microwave plus PIR) pet resistant sensor.  These require that both the
uWave and PIR sensors be tripped to give an alarm, reducing the
incidence of false triggers due to environmental conditions.  This
model does a good job of ignoring most pets though no motion detector
can be guaranteed never to false.

There's also a less expensive, single technology model from Paradox
called a DG75 which I've used with decent results as well.  As I
mentioned above, everyone has his own favorite models.  These have
worked for me and for several thousand DIY customers who have purchased
systems from my online store.  I carry a fairly wide assortment of
competing brands.  Although you are using a professional installer to
service your system, you can get an idea what the installer's markup
(plus labor) is by comparing the retail prices with what the technician
quoted you.

It takes about five minutes to replace a motion detector and five or
ten minutes to thoroughly test it once the swap is done.  If your alarm
company replaces three of them, you can usually expect them to charge
something for the trip plus about an hour on your premises.  If they
made a mistake installing the wrong detectors at the start, they should
fix the problem at no charge.  If the detectors were something you
specifically chose and they don't work right then it is within reason
for them to charge you to replace them.

Regards,
Robert L Bass
www.BassBurglarAlarms.com