Re: Need Advice For Packaged Home Alarm Purchase

Brinks uses proprietary equipment, you might want to double think that
choice.

Personally I'd go with a smaller company...one where your money is literally
putting bread on the owner's table...much more likely to get better service.
Unless, of course, the owner is a grouchy old fart like me:-)

"Mike" <wxyz09@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
| Much thanks for your useful information.  I wouldn't have considered many
of
| the items you mentiuoned in your post.
| I'm starting to feel like an informed consumer.   I attempted to contact a
| local installer who installed a wired system,
| Solmon's Shield(sp?) for a neighbor, but he sold out to one of the large
| security companies.    I then Called Brink's Security
| who told me I should buy their motion sensor system with door alarms for
| $300.00 + and a $28.xx monthly fee.
| My house is a end of group rowhouse with a walk out basement.  I don't
| believe the motion sensor is going to cut it.
| I believe I need alarms in the basement and on the second floor.
|
| Mike

| > Initial term of the contract should be something reasonable..2-3 years
is
| > common...anything  more as an initial term is kinda ridiculous. Most
| > contracts auto-renew yearly on the anniversary date of the signing, this
| > usually tied to your procedure on canceling monitoring should you decide
| > cancel after the initial term...read what the notification time
| > is...usually
| > 30 days prior. Some states have restricitons on auto-renewal clauses.
| >
| > What is their policy if you move before the initial term is expired?
| >
| > Read the fine print. Do you own all of the equipment once you have paid
| > them
| > for the installation - not completion of the initial term of the
contract?
| > Make sure what you are buying is not actually a hidden leased system.
| >
| > Is the equipment proprietary? < Stay away from this, because if you're
not
| > happy and you cancel and the equipment is proprietary like one big
| > alarmco's
| > is...you endup throwing it away.
| >
| > However, all that being said..you are really buying a relationship. Do
you
| > like the guy? Did you get good recommendations from other people? Do
they
| > seem like a company you can deal with?
| >
| > BTW, contacts don't have to be inforced. I let people slide all the
| > time...sometimes you have to, sometimes it just the right thing to do
(not
| > enforce a clause) to keep a client happy. I DO enforce contracts when
| > someone hasn't paid me for a zillion months - thats fair I should think
| > :-)
| >

| > "Mike" <wxyz09@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
| > | Is there anything I should look out for in a contract?
| > |
| > | Mike
| > |
| > | "Crash Gordon" <webmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message