Re: Need Advice For Packaged Home Alarm Purchase

On Tue, 31 Jan 2006 02:42:00 GMT, "Mike" <wxyz09@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> Security System Quotes
>

> ADT corporate
> 349.00  Essentials Plus Package 1 Safewatch? Pro 3000 Touchpad
> 1 Motion Detector
> 1 Indoor Sounder
> 2 Door/Window Sensors
> 1 Manual Police/Fire Emergency Button
> 1 One-Time Telephone Connection Fee
> 1 Chime Feature
> 125 addition key pad
> 70.00 extra door sensor
> 25 telephone connection fee
> 99.00 x three smoke alarms
> 50.00 x three glass break alarms
>
> appx $750.00 & about 42.00 a month fire and breakin monitoring

The purchase / installation fee is in line with what many other
firms are charging but $42 a month for monitoring a residential
system seems high.  They can turn a profit charging half that
much.

> forgot to ask how much service call will cost. I own the equipment.

Typically there will be a warranty period, after which service
calls can be expensive.  Get the current prices in writing.

> Brinks
> premium pkg
> 1 master control w/ battery
> 1 premium keypad
> 2 motion sensor
> 1 siren
> 3 door sensers
> 1 key fob
> 1 smoke/heat detector
> appx 480.00 installed $34.99 per month for break in, fire and service
> policy.

Due to Brinks' reputation and the fact that no one else can
monitor or service it, I'd be very cautious about getting tied in
with them.  Once they have you they can pretty much charge
whatever they want for monitoring and service.  If you don't like
the price or the quality of the service, you have no other
options.

> I'm renovating my house - tearing walls, etc.  The Brinks rep tells me
> as long as I have the service policy Brinks will reinstall any equipment I
> move due to reconstruction.
>
> What do think of the quotes?  The Brinks service plan w/ free equilment
> reinstalls is tempting.

On the surface it may seem so but ADT corporate has a much better
reputation.  Try to negotiate the monitoring price.  Maybe you
can get a lower rate.  Either way, ADT corporate will likely be
the better choice.

> (I told the rep the free reinstall needs to be in the final
> contract)...

That "free" reinstallation sometimes has a way of costing more
than the initial installation.  A "basic" system is 2 doors, 1
motion, 1 keypad and 1 siren.  When most of us move it's usually
to a larger place with more doors, more windows, more motion
detectors, smoke detectors, etc.  "Half price" doesn't mean half
of what you paid at the time of the initial installation.  It
means half of what they say the going price is when you move.

I've dealt with a number of people who initially went with
Brinks.  None were happy about the experience.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass

Bass Burglar Alarms