Re: PIR recommendation.

James Russo wrote:
>>Everything you've said up to this point is pretty much what I
>>would have done as well.  The detector covering hallway 126
>>(below) can work if it's a short enough range so as not to "see"
>>the windows and if there's no chance of reflected sunlight,
>>headlights, etc., hitting the detector face.
>

> According to the plans, it's ~40ft from that wall to the glass. Sunlight
> isn't a possibility, but outside those windows is a parking lot, so
> headlights are. Those windows will be tinted, so that could help. From
> the wall to the parking spot would be over 50 feet.

Make sure you properly adjust any PIR looking towards the windows.  Most
have a 40 foot range, but if the lenses are adjusted too high, they will
pick up headlights.  In one installation we didn't have a choice about
where to mount the sensor.  In this particular case we adjusted it for
max range and masked the upper portion of the lens that was facing the
window.

>>As an alternative to the detector near 107 which protects hallway
>>126, have you considered installing a detector in the NE corner
>>of room 105.  That would cover room 105 and almost half of
>>corridor 126 (assuming that the back of the L-shaped counter in
>>room 105 isn't very high.  If the partition is too high, you
>>might consider placing a narrow angle detector on the wall above
>>the window near the SE corner of room 105.
>

> Good call about the NE corner. The L shaped wall is a half wall going
> about maybe 40 inches or so.
>
> Is the ademco 998 a good all-around PIR?

The Ademco PIR's are certainly "good all-around".  I haven't had any bad
experiences with them and we have them installed in about 20 accounts
(take-overs).  I've settled on the Paradox detectors (won't install
anything else).

Frank Olson
http://www.yoursecuritysource.com