Re: How much effort should I put to hard-wire?

Replacement batteries can be quite expensive. So if you are planning on
living there a long time, hardwire now would save you money in the long run.

So far as doing it yourself, running concealed wires in an already built
home is an art which can take quite a bit of experience to learn. Also
knowing what is inside the walls, not drilling into an electric or gas line,
etc.

If you are not experienced at this, I would suggest having an experienced
alarm installer or electrician do it for you.

But have it done for cash, no contracts, etc. Probably best to find someone
to do it on the side and not deal with an alarm company. Or a small locally
owned alarm company might do this without any contracts which obligate you
to monitoring, etc.

Check this place out for monitoring...
http://www.alarmrelay.com