Re: NetProMax DVRs

"Nick Markowitz" <nick-markowitz@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:XGXGf.12965$Qb.9496@xxxxxxxxxxx
> Biggest problem i have had is unauthorised people using intenet with them
> and screwing up the computers by getting virus etc thats why for my own
> installs i only install stand alane units with out keyboad etc that cannot
> be messed with.I have company i sub for and every time its one that is a
> computer with a capture board some employee has managed to screw with it.

Personally of the various MFGs I have used Dedicated Micros has given me the
fewest problems.

These units aren't bad for screwing with them.  They autoload the
application, and if you shut down the application it shuts down the
computer.  Still, its possible.  I did play with them a bit t see if I could
get to windows, and there are some ways that can be done.

The client software is a little different than some I have used.  Not as
intuitive as you would expect, but it worked.  I was able to simultaneously
connect to all three units from offsite after I was done.

There are some things in the manuals that is confusing do to poor wording.
It seems to imply that passwords are not case sensitive, but they most
definitely are.  In one spot it also implies that you don't have to reboot
an XP or 2000 machine after making IP address changes, but you do or the DVR
application won't pick up the change.

After you get it setup up it connects easy enough.

Its kinda interesting to see the way different outfits implement stuff.  I
just finished the network setup on a DS2A with the new software yesterday
morning.  LAN setup is a snap, but password setup is a real cludge.  WAN
access to telemetry was a bit confusing too.  You have to setup a second
port forward on a different port.  Then if you have multiple connections or
multiple telemetry items to control you have to forwarda whoel block of
ports.  Not at all like the old DDM software.

On Tuesday I finished the setup on a Pelco DX 7000 series DVR.  Another
XP/2000 based unit.  The setup on this one is weird and different too.  Uses
the Windows networking stuff too.

Anyway, the NetProMax doesn't look any worse to me than the Windows based
Pelco machine.

--
Bob La Londe
http://www.YumaBassMan.com

LocalNet dialup IMO is a criminal organization.
Have not used them in years but they continue to bill me.