Re: bought a new house - changing security code, etc

> Was the ADT rep full of crap?  Is there really no way for me to use this
> system without it being monitored?

It depends on which panel they used and how they locked it.  Many
panels have a code lockout to keep clients from changing to
another alarm company without replacing the alarm control panel.
Many dealers use the lockout code, insisting it's to protect them
from being sued if you screw up your alarm and the neighbor slips
on a banana peel while walking his dog or some such nonsense.

In the best case you just need to reprogram your alarm as a
"local" (non-monitored) system.  If you can tell which make and
model the panel is, I'll be happy to help you get manuals,
default codes, etc.

If the alarm company locked the panel against local programming,
the easiest solution will probably be to swap out the main board.
Depending on the model, that could cost anywhere from ~$40 to
over $100.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass