Re: bought a new house - changing security code, etc

On Thu, 02 Feb 2006 22:09:34 GMT, "Aaron" <aaron@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

>Was the ADT rep full of crap?  Is there really no way for me to use this
>system without it being monitored?

The rep, and ADT for that matter, obviously want to sell you
monitoring.  That's how they earn a living.  You can't blame them for
not wanting to reprogram it for free without getting a monitoring
contract.  However, the system can be programmed in local mode.  Be
careful though. Up until about two years ago, almost all ADT
residential systems were leased to the customer, and alarms sourced
through authorized dealers are still leased.  They may have some legal
right to remove part or all of the system from your home if you do not
sign up with them.  I doubt they will, but they may be able to.

One question, why would you want a non-monitored security system?