Re: How much effort should I put to hard-wire?

Robert L Bass wrote:
> Hi Eric,
>
> If there is access from the basement below most of the time door
> alarm sensors are easy to wire even on an older home.  French
> doors usually have one door that must be open before the other
> will move.  Some older models allow either door to operate
> independently of the other.  If yours are of the former type you
> only need to put sensors (called "contacts") on the door that
> moves first.
>
> The simplest way to protect French doors is with a roller/plunger
> type sensor installed in the frame on the hinge side.  I've tried
> numerous brands and found that most tend to jam shut after a few
> years.  The one exception, IME, is a model from Sentrol (now part
> of GE Security) called a 3005.  When installed properly about the
> only thing that can present a problem for these is paint.  Just
> don't paint them.  This is how I've done it a few thousand times.

So... without finding out where he's living, you're suggesting he
install a plunger type switch in the door frame of an eighty year old
house...  Sure, Robert...  Sure...

> Using a 3/4" speed bore, carefully drill a hole in the hinge side
> of the door frame, 2" above the threshold and parallel to the
> floor.  Make the hole about 2" deep.  STOP.

Better yet, STOP before you even begin.

> Swap the drill bit for a 1/2" diameter, 16" long bit (often
> called a "feeler bit").

You use awefully big "feeler bits" in Bahia...

> Place the tip of the small bit inside
> the large hole.  Raise the drill motor so that the bit is about
> 60º off the floor.  Swing the motor outside the door about 3" so
> that the small hole will appear in the basement.  By drilling at
> this compound angle you won't wind up going through a 10-12"
> joist.

Or the wiring for the light switch next to the door??