Re: NAPCO VIP-Gateway

On Thu, 28 Dec 2006 20:55:44 -0500, "Robert L Bass"
<robertbass1@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> Yup.  I've seen some for sale on 2 DIY'er sites.
>
>Yet you don't see this as a DIY item.  Interesting.

I don't see it as a DIY item because the service must go through
Napco's servers.  Napco has assured me that they don't and never will
deal with end-users, so the company that sells and administers these
needs a Napco videoalert.net account.

>> I wonder how they are handling this, in our
>> state and Florida CCTV is considered an
>> activity that requires licensing.
>
>CCTV is not an "activity."  It's a verb.  Installing CCTV for pay in Florida is subject to licensing.  Selling CCTV equipment does
>not require a license.  Selling Internet service which allows a homeowner to view his own home over the web does not require a
>license either.  There's no central station calling the police or fire department so it's not "alarm monitoring" according to
>Florida statute.

In Texas it's:

Sec. 1702.002. DEFINITIONS
(C)  a television camera or still camera system that:

(i)  records or archives images of property or individuals in a public
or private area of a residence or business;  or

(ii)  is monitored by security personnel or services.

Since recording is taking place, and the service is not available to
private individuals, only companies, I'd think that classifies the
'service' as an activity that requires licensing in Texas.  Ask your
pal Norm if FL has a similar statute.

>> Which might be a 'barrier to entry'
>> to an online store without a license.
>
>If you think so, file a complaint.

I don't give a rats Bass what the online stores sell, it's up to the
owner of the store to stay compliant with their own state's
regulations.

> Of course, since you like going RL you won't mind if I contact a few people where you are about
>your misdeeds will you?  BTW, have you found a new job yet, Cracker?

When have I ever gone RL with anyone (including you)????  YOU are the
one who likes to take Usenet quarrels real life - remember?  You can
make all the accusations you want about me filing BBB complaints and
doing credit checks and whatever else you can dream up.  I'll say it
again - I've NEVER filed a complaint with any organization about you,
nor did I run a credit check on you like you claim I did - and you
know it.

What 'misdeeds' would you like to whine about this time asswipe?  You
gonna call my family, the state, my employer, about what a rotten guy
I am?  Tell them how I hurt your delicate feelings.  Tell them how you
don't like the order of electrons dancing on your screen were arranged
by some mean guy in Waco.  Wahh wahh.  You call whoever the fuck you
want.  You're an unlicensed hack, and a ex-felon convicted of a
violent crime - make sure you tell them that too.

--

-Graham

(delete the double e's to email)