Re: VistaScape

On Tue, 28 Nov 2006 06:05:29 GMT, "Roland Moore" <roland@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

>Thanks for the response. I am glad someone here knows something about
>VistaScape.
>>Siemen's recent decision to buy the company.
>Who can parse what that really means? Having the best technology doesn't
>mean that much to the head bean counter at a huge corporation. Look at what
>United Technologies paid for Lenel. I think everyone except Borris and
>Natasha are still scratching their ass over that one. According to the
>VistaScape web site the Siemens deal just went down in September. What if
>Siemens just landed a bunch of contracts that used VistaScape it it was
>cheaper to by the company than to by the product the company makes? (Just
>like Lenel?). Or what if a Siemens competitor just landed a bunch of
>contracts out from under Siemens and this was a move just to get Siemens'
>nose down in that food chain a little deeper?

Could be.  VistaScape was started by software engineers rather than a
security or video company looking for a new niche.  The technology
really is something different than the rest of the intelligent video/
video analytics on the market, so I think there is some value in that.

>Out of all the gear that gets picked at seaports and airports I had never
>heard of VistaScape. Nice, Verint, VCS, Genetech, etc. were always the names
>I heard. As a company we do big places, but that is more vertical than
>horizontal so a product like VistaScape wasn't one we were ever looking for.
>I guess someone pulled down a big carcass (I have no idea where yet, but it
>might have nothing at all to do with water) so now stuff like this
>VistaScape is on the menu.

VistaScape is still a very small company compared to Nice, Verint, or
Object Video.  Most people in this industry had never heard of them
before the Siemens announcement.  The first time that I'm aware that
we used it was at MassPort/ Logan.  They were happy enough with the
product to expand the contract considerably.

> >For large scale video monitoring, it's the best thing we've come across.
>What other vendor's products have you tried to compare and contrast
>VistaScape with?

There really isn't anything else out there that I'm aware of that does
what VistaScape does with the GPS/ GIS mapping and situational
awareness thing.  The user interface is what really sets it apart.  We
still use Object Video more because it has more applications like
indoor security.  VistaScape is really a niche product for large
outdoor applications.  All of the applications we've worked on have
been homeland security/ asset protection covering a relatively large
area.

>If the original VistaScape set up is a pain, how much tech time (per day,
>week, month) does it take to keep it up and going in real life versus what
>the factory says it should take?

The system itself consists of video processors that VistaScape calls
appliances - ain't that original - and the software components.  All
of the ongoing maintenance that I'm aware of is typical IT stuff.
With this product, I've been more involved in the pre-sales and
installation phases, though.

>What does the day to day end user have to say about it?

The interface is probably the easiest CCTV user interface that I have
seen for multiple cameras/ sensors over a large area.  The analytics
work fairly well, but I think there is some room for improvement here.
We're involved in one project that is tasked with finding new
technologies for port security/ antiterrorism.  They looked at a bunch
of different products, but really liked the VistaScape platform.    It
just fits there application well.

>Are they on the verge of some new release of a new VistaScape software
>revision?

They seem to constantly be on the verge of doing something new with
the software.  They're still a software company and they operate like
one.  One thing I know they were looking at was the ability of
autotracking objects with assessment cameras based on data received
from detection sensors.  They custom write drivers for third party
sensor integration.

>Do you think that Siemens is going to change VistaScape and pull it close
>(like Bosch did with Radionics, DS and Phillips) or let it be what it has
>always been.

Of course they're telling me no, but who knows.  We did business with
Radionics and Philips (Burle) for years before they were bought, and
we still do business the same way with those guys for the most part.
However, Siemens is a direct competitor and a very active player in
the port security/ asset protection arena where VistaScape is
typically used.