Re: Caddx/Ademco Downloading

Roland Moore wrote:
> New internal modems cost l0 bucks or less now days. Too bad the
> manufacturers  won't design a panel with a communications chip that will go
> up to 56K (33.6K) and that can talk to the cheap modems.

Well, IIRC, any modem that uses the hayes command set can be limited to
a max connect speed.

In fact, I looked it up, and  ATN0 will tell the modem to only
handshake at the speed set in register 37, so in theory,

ATS37=1200
ATN0

Should set the max speed to 1200   Anyone have an external
hayes-compatible and a alarm panel to play with?

Memory tells me the hayes 1200 / 2400 cost about $80 14 years ago.
Certainly they should be worth no more than $10 now. After all, who
buys them?  Alarm installers?

If you really need one bad, I would suggest going to a local company,
if you can find one that seldom throws stuff out, and ask.  Governments
(who have rules about tossing stuff) and charities might be good
choices.  I'll keep an eye on the goodwill stores around here.