Re: Caddx/Ademco Downloading

"Al Mundy" <t2e4@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:1166040451.140324.288510@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> Roland Moore wrote:
> > New internal modems cost l0 bucks or less now days. Too bad the
> > manufacturers  won't design a panel with a communications chip that will
go
> > up to 56K (33.6K) and that can talk to the cheap modems.
>
> Well, IIRC, any modem that uses the hayes command set can be limited to
> a max connect speed.
>
> In fact, I looked it up, and  ATN0 will tell the modem to only
> handshake at the speed set in register 37, so in theory,
>
> ATS37=1200
> ATN0
>
> Should set the max speed to 1200   Anyone have an external
> hayes-compatible and a alarm panel to play with?

In theory yes, in reality companies followed the Hayes command set about as
well as RLB follows newsgroup rules. Just becausse a modem can get down to
100 baud does not mean it will talk to a specific panel

> Memory tells me the hayes 1200 / 2400 cost about $80 14 years ago.
> Certainly they should be worth no more than $10 now. After all, who
> buys them?  Alarm installers?

Telecom companies buy them in quantity for line testing, depending on the
model you'll get the 1200 for between $40 and $70, depending on which 2400
it will be $25 to $40. you can verify this by bidding on a 1200 at Ebay