Re: Remote car start via phone?

GregS wrote:

> Might run longer, but much less wear than stepping on the gas, and much
> less air flowing through the converter. I thinks its universaly agreed that
> the oil should warm up before serious torque is applied.

It's called "Mobile One".  It's a synthetic motor oil.  I use it in all
our vehicles.  The greatest engine wear occurs when you first start a
"cold" engine (one that has been sitting idle for long periods).  This
stuff reduces that to practically nil.  I also use their synthetic
transmission fluid.  I have a 1968 Buick Skylark that still purrs like a
kitten and lays about 100 feet of rubber on the one-two shift.  She's
got a 455ci long block with Bosch ignition, Hooker headers, and a Holley
carb.

> I think you would have to run a serious test in order to make sense of
> all these factors. Just thinking what they are is no good.

They have.  The first time I ever saw anything written up about
synthetic motor oils was in a Popular Mechanics magazine from about 20
years ago.  They changed out the factory supplied oil with "Mobile One"
and put 130,000 miles on a brand new Lincoln Town Car WITHOUT changing
the oil.  They did top it up when required with more "Mobile One", and
changed the filter at the suggested intervals.  When they tore down the
engine after 130,000 miles, the bearings, rings, and gears were still
within factory specs for a NEW engine.  Not only that, but they took two
samples of regular 10-30 weight oil and one of "Mobile One" to -50
degrees Celsius.  You could still pour the "Mobile One" (there was very
little difference from the room temperature sample), while the regular
motor oils became viscous "sludge" in the bottom of the test beakers.

> One of the nicest features of a remote start, its kinda nice to have a little bit
> of security when walking toward your vehicle late at night in a seculed parking garage
> and you see some shady characters approaching. The sound of a car starting is a
> good deterant.

If you were in a parking garage and confronted with a couple of shady
characters approaching, who would you call??  "911" or your car's
auto-starter??