Re: Remote car start via phone?

In article <1w3Cg.348081$iF6.315343@pd7tw2no>, Matt Ion <soundy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>Frank Olson wrote:
>
>> In Vancouver, if you idle your engine for longer than 3 minutes while
>> parked anywhere, you're subject to an $80.00 fine.  This has something
>> to do with lowering emission levels.  This, of course, never even
>> crossed your mind.  Having a "warm and toasty" car is far more important
>> after that long plane trip...
>
>Another thing to consider: almost all modern car manufacturers recommend NOT
>warming up your car for more than 30 seconds before driving.

I read a few posts about warming up. Nothing seems to be really informative, or dangerous.
These seem to be accepted generalizations.

Idling for a while is good, to get the oil going.

Car companies and media are likely to recommend anything that
improves immisions or fuel economy.

Idling may not be the optimum conditions for a running engine.

Warming up produces higher emmisions, and a fast warmup
may lower overall emmisions.

Following people who just started their engines is a pain, watching all that converter
smoke, and their slow driving. Doesn't that make you mad.

greg