Re: Two....

"S. Smith" <ChaosLogicXIII@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:1156958393.133082.208960@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Greetings again.  This group has been a godsend in the past in helping
> me figure out problems, so here are two more:
>
> One:  A three door access control solution using only a NX-8V2 panel
> and a bunch of relays.  This system is supposed to use 3 NX-1700E card
> readers for arming, disarming, and access control, plus release all mag
> in the event of a fire alarm sent from a seperate system.  I think I've
> got all the wiring issues figured out, but I've never seen any access
> control options in the NX 8 panel except in DL900... anyone ever done
> this before or have any advice before I really screw this up? (besides
> taking a bat to my boss's head for selling this system this way... I've
> already got that ready to go...)

Can't help.  Never used an NX-8 for access either.

> Two:  Tempest DVR's..... can't say anything else except that I hate
> them and my boss keeps selling them because they are cost-efficient.
> Admittedly on the most part they work fine for smaller jobs involving 4
> to 12 cameras... but we've got 2 in a bank, each recieving 16 cameras,
> recording on motion 24/7.  And the damn things keep failing in one way
> or another.  Whether it's the system freezing when you try to burn
> video to a CD or random restarts... these things have driven us up the
> wall...  You couldn't ask for a better environment: temp controlled
> server room, HUGE APC power backup and surge protection....
>
> I suppose my question with this one is: is there another DVR out there
> in the same price range as a Tempest that can do the same but more
> reliably?

The problem is two fold.  People are inherently cheap.  They won't pay for
good stuff.  An embedded OS DVR not windows based is the way to go.  I have
used the Dedicated Micros DS2A and DS2P with good succes and little to no
down time over several years.  They are much more expensive than comparable
Windows systems (except Pelco which actually costs more).  Unfortunately,
people can't see the difference on a proposal form.   Dedicated Micros did
offer a different solution for network applications called the DV-IP.  It is
intened to be network access only and costs less than the DS2P.

In order to buy the DV-IP you have to do two things.

1.    Take a free on-line certification test.  I sent them my information to
take the test several weeks ago and have heard nothing from them.
2.    You have to go to their HQ at your expense and take some hands on
training on the unit.

For Windows based system I have used Geo-Vision, Pelco, and Netpromax.  The
Netpromax seems to be the most stable of the three, and Pelco is the most
expensive.

I have been considering trying the MACE recorders next.

> Thanks again for all your help guys... Look forward to hearing from you.

Don't know that I helped.  Best of luck to you.

--
The Security Consultant
Bob La Londe - Owner

(928)782-9765 ofc