Re: ESP "Infinite" Wireless Security Alarm

On Sun, 27 Aug 2006 17:18:33 +0100, "John" <wedontwant@xxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

>"Crash Gordon" <webmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>> Thats kinda the way most of the wireless pirs work, the walk test led only
>> works when in walk-test and not during actual operation, this is to save
>> battery life. Same for the alarm signal they usually will send one signal
>> the panel every few minutes, not every time it sees movement....same
>> thing...save battery life.
>>

>> "John" <wedontwant@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>> | Just bought one of these alarm systems. I want to use it purely and
>> simply
>> | as a burglar alarm, ie, no GSM, no "Central Station" monitoring and no
>> X10
>> | Home Automation.
>> |
>> | The kit came with 3 wireless PIRs and none of them seem to detect
>> movement.
>> | Each PIR has a jumper that can be set to "walk test" mode and there's a
>> red
>> | LED that should come on when movement is detected. About every 4 minutes
>> the
>> | LED flashes twice as the PIR sends an "I'm alive and here" signal back
>> | the control unit but it just doesn't light up when you move.
>> |
>> | The control unit is in the hallway with the zone 1 PIR mounted above it
>> and
>> | the unit reports Zone 1 PIR as signal strength 9, status OK. Zones 2 & 3
>> | PIRs are reported as signal strength 7, status OK.
>> |
>> | As I said, none of the PIRs do anything except their 4-minute "check-in"
>> | with the control unit. Seems strange that all 3 should be faulty but
>> that's
>> | what it looks like, unless anyone here can put me right.
>> |
>> | Actually, to be more precise, I have the system set to "chime" when a
>> | detector
>> | triggers until I get it all installed properly and while I was typing
>> out
>> | this message  the hallway detector was triggered twice. It seems that
>> the
>> | detectors *will* detect movement, but only *once* in the 4-minute period
>> | between "check-in" signals.
>> |
>> | Any ideas anyone?
>> |
>> | Cheers,
>> |
>> | John.
>
>I have to admit to being very much a novice and a newbie when it comes to
>security alarms but surely Crash, that can't be right, can it? If the
>wireless PIR only sends an alarm signal to the control unit every few
>minutes and not every time it senses motion, a burglar could be in and out
>between signals - or worse, in, out of range of PIR when it decides to send
>it's next signal, and out 20 minutes later in another "space" between
>signals???

It's true.  The Ademco units for example will send a signal when it
first detects the motion, but if motion continues in the area it won't
re-send another open signal until the area stabilizes.  It's nowhere
near 20 minutes though.

--

-Graham
(remove the double e's to email)