Re: Casement Windows

FondOfBooks wrote:
> I have mostly double-hung windows.  They are currently able to remain
> open a few inches and still have the system armed.  Now we are adding a
> couple of casement windows.  Is there any way to wire them and allow
> them to remain open a few inches on a nice day?  Thanks!

Here's something you may want to try. I don't do it all the time, only
if the client REAAALLLLLLY wants to ventilate a casement or two on an
install.

First, the switch and magnet have to be installed on the hinge side of
the window. The magnet, in relation to the switch has to be mounted so
that the window can only be opened about two to three inches (depending
upon the make of the window) before the switch breaks contact. If you
let it open any more than that, someone could reach in and mess with
the switch. Then, at that point of the window being open, install a
hook and eye somewhere on the frame and moving part of the window so
that the window can only open so far. You need to do this because
sometimes, when the wind blows a casement window, it can gradually open
over a period of time. It doesn't look to pretty if the window is in a
obvious place and it's not too convenient if you're opening and closing
the window every day ( because you have to take the screen off each
time you want to use the hook and eye). In a couple of cases, I
installed a short chain between the frame and the window, so they
wouldn't have to remove the screen each time. The chain unhoods, in
case they ever had to open the window all the way. But all in all, the
easiest, but more expensive way to do it, is with security screens. I
just don't like screens because they can be slit and someone can reach
in and mess with the wires, if they know what they're doing. And if you
have screens in a room, people tend to leave the windows WIDE open and
so you can't have a motion detector in that room which could trip due
to wind blowing something around, while the windows are open.

If you're doing this yourself, this make work for you.

I usually don't post this kind of stuff in this group, because there's
someone by the name of Robert Bass here, who likes to steal this kind
of information and claim that he thought of it. He uses information
like this to make money on his web site. You know the kind, a thieving
lying scumbag who gets by using other people.