Question about alarm system in new house.

Hello,
I just bought a house on Friday and shortly after closing I was talking
with the seller about the shed in the backyard. He mentioned that not
only did it have full power, but was also wired for the built in alarm
system. I asked about the system and he did not know too much as he had
only owned the house for a few years and never activated it. The house
has stickers and yard signs that say "Power Call" and I have found the
master control panel  in the den and other componets such as a wireless
transmitter in the master bedroom walk in closet and what appeard to be
a junction box (appears to be locked)  in a closet in the foyer.

 My question is regarding modifying this system to function without
activation. By that I mean have it call who I chose rather than the
orignal company (our power company-who appears to no longer provide
this service). Is this doable or can any of these parts be used for
another system?
Does anyone have any background on this company or any of the parts
they used?

Thanks a bunch,
Fletch